seeing the world as poki sees it!

Sunday, May 18, 2008

We're here!

We made it to Virginia just a few minutes late, picked up our rental car (a white Jetta) and found our way to the hotel about midnight Saturday night! (It is in the shadow of the parking garage at Richmond International Airport - so it didn't take too long to get there, I planned it that way)
After our late night snack we came back to the hotel, and there was a bird singing in the parking lot! I've never heard a bird sing in the middle of the night! I woke up several times during the night, and the bird was still at it! But at 8:00 a.m. this morning, when we ventured out, not a peep out of that bird! Guess he was napping then!
We drove about 45 miles to the closest Wal Mart that I had mapped for us, and picked up some supplies we needed to make the trip a little easier (bug repellent before we get to the Outer Banks, and some sunscreen, and of course some Coke Zero!)
We drove down US 64 through Hampton Roads. One long bridge, and one longer tunnel under the James River at Hampton. We missed Shore Drive, but were able to get back to it. Stopped by Ft. Story to see the Cape Henry Lighthouses - old and new! Only the Old lighthouse is open to th e public. It was built in 1791 - the very first PUBLIC WORKS PROJECTS approved by the first Congress of the United States! For those who know me well, you know I have this thing about narrow, winding places, but I CLIMBED TO THE TOP! Mike took a picture of me up in the top of the tower, with the New Cape Henry Light in the background. I think the photo will need some editing which I will have to do at home, so I will add the photo later! I REALLY DID IT! By the way, I smoozed a little with the guards at the gate of Ft Story (the lighthouses are on the Fort, so we had to go through security.) I told them we lived by Ft Hood, so we understood about Post Security. One of the guards was stationed at Ft Hood as a medic, so he wanted to know if I'd seen any rattlesnakes.
There was a Beach Tailgate party going on at Neptune Park in Virginia Beach - we walked a couple of blocks on the boardwalk, and then headed over to Portsmouth, one long bridge, and a longer tunnel later, we were able to find the Portsmouth light ship! LIGHTHOUSES THIS TRIP = 3! More tomorrow!
Leaving Portsmouth we were a little unsure about our route, so we hooked up "greenie" and her GPS system! "Greenie" does her job really well - we just didn't follow directions that well. But we did make it to Elizabeth City, NC for the night! We had dinner at Ruby Tuesday's (across the street) and now Mike is watching an Indiana Zones movie on the Sci-Fi network - or maybe he's sleeping, not sure which!
I can safely say we did everything I had planned for today! And now I'm going to sleep in front of the TV too! More later ...
p

No comments:

Post a Comment