seeing the world as poki sees it!

Monday, May 4, 2009

The Outer Banks - a photo tour!

We arrived on the Outer Banks about 10:30 a.m. on Sunday, May 3 - you could just feel the change in "attitude", it's laid back, no one seems to be in a hurry (much to Michael's distress on several occasions while driving!)

My first photo op for the day was in Rodanthe. I am a lover of all things "Nicholas Sparks" If you are not familiar with the name, you may know his novels and not know his name. His first blockbuster was "Message in a Bottle" and his most recent "Nights in Rodanthe." I've read "Message" about 3 times and seen the movie countless times - sad, but beautiful love story. He writes it well! Mr. Sparks is from North Carolina (but not the Outer Banks) and he portrays the area beautifully in his novels. "Nights in Rodanthe" is his latest to hit the big screen - which makes him accessible to a wider audience. I re-read the novel on the plane coming out here last year, and purchased the DVD of the movie during the week of issue! I've only watched it once, but really loved the HOUSE on the beach. Last week I ran across a website with a list of the locations that had been filmed in and around Rodanthe. Of course, I had to see the house, but you couldn't miss it - it is the FIRST house on the left when you come into town from the North! It just appears. It's a rugged looking house, standing on stilts in the sand where a HIGH tide can engulf its footprint. Only exterior scenes were filmed on location.



We will be staying near Rodanthe during our second week of vacation, so I may find a few more of the places listed on the "Nights of Rodanthe" walking tour when we are there.

In the meantime, here's a shot of a friendly - and hungry - seagull near the Hatteras-Ocracoke Ferry docks.

More pictures of the "world as poki sees it" to come later - I got up early to load pictures and post these, but Mike is still snoozing. The house is wonderful - I don't have to hang out in the "dark" in a motel room while letting Mike sleep! I think I will get dressed soon and go explore the marshes just a little to the south of the house. They say they are a "birders" paradise, and although I've never consciously been a "bird watcher" I seem to notice them more when I'm near the ocean. Saw lots of herons and pelicans yesterday!

Til later ... p

No comments:

Post a Comment