seeing the world as poki sees it!

Sunday, May 10, 2009

We are on Hatteras Island ... at Buxton

We caught the 9:00 a.m. ferry from Ocracoke to Hatteras Landing ... by inches! We were the last car in line, to be allowed onto the ferry, and the attendant had to direct us into a TIGHT SPOT with inches (or less!) to spare. We arrived at Hatteras Landing about 9:45 a.m. When we left the ferry, we went straight to Buxton to Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. poki was there with a PURPOSE - to climb the tallest light in the Americas, and the tallest BRICK lighthouse in the world! The wind and weather was cooperating today - the observation tower was OPEN! It was not open on Friday and Saturday due to high winds, so we were lucky! We climbed it - to the top, and poki walked the complete circumference of the observation deck taking pictures all the while! I will add pictures to this post laster when I have had a chance to load and edit some of them! I was thrilled to be able to do it. I counted steps going up, taking short breaks at each platform (about 30 steps each time!) The total is 248 by my count going up. I counted in descending order coming down to keep my mind off the climb, but it was much harder to concentrate on the descending numbers while not looking at the steps! Pix to come!
This is the first picture that I edited ... more to come tomorrow!


p

No comments:

Post a Comment